The option of choosing either blinds or curtains isn’t about one being superior to the other. The decision really depends on your personal style and what practical elements each room in your home requires. There are a lot of different curtain options available and there are also a number of different types of window blinds to choose from.
Let’s take a look at some key features of each so you can make an informed decision about what’s best for you.
Curtains Can Really Add That Elegant Touch
If you are going for a sophisticated and elegant look for your living room or bedroom, then adding some sheer curtains to the windows really adds a touch of style. This type of semi-transparent curtain allows natural light into the room whilst still maintaining a degree of privacy.
In order to have more light control, layering the curtains is a good idea. The sheer curtains are hung on a rod nearest the windows, while darker curtains are hung on their own rod and can be drawn across the sheer curtains.
This gives you the option of allowing lots of daylight inside, as well as being able to block it out completely or give the room full privacy at night.
A blend of sheer curtains and curtains of a heavier fabric really do give a room that sophisticated appearance.
The Best Type of Blinds
What are the best type of blinds for your windows?
It really depends on the room, the style and functionality of the windows and what you’re hoping to achieve.
Let’s quickly list some of the types of window blinds so you can easily reference what’s available:
- Roman Blinds – A timeless favourite, Roman blinds really add a touch of class to any room with their unique folding style and fantastic colour and fabric range.
- Venetian Blinds – Also another style of blinds that has really stood the test of time. Venetian blinds are the perfect choice when light control and privacy control are important.
- Panel Glides – Class, sophistication and elegance and three words that come to mind to describe panel glide blinds. The panels glide effortlessly along their tracks and can even be motorised for remote operation.
- Vertical Blinds – Another staple that’s been around for many years. Vertical blinds are really the most versatile of them all and are often a budget-friendly option.
- Roller Blinds – As the name suggests, roller blinds roll up and down for ease of operation and simplicity. Their less is more appearance makes them perfect for any room and their operation can also be motorised.
- Outdoor Blinds – If you love entertaining out on the balcony or patio, having blinds installed allows you to block out the sun when you need to, as well as keep those pesky insects at bay during the evening.
- Honeycomb Blinds – These blinds are made from material with a honeycomb pattern inside. The tiny trapped pockets of air block out some of the outside noise as well as help keep the room insulated.
As you can see there are window blind ideas for every room and every occasion. It’s just a matter of choosing the right look and style to suit your individual needs.
So Should You Choose Blinds Or Curtains?
There are no hard and fast rules saying you have to choose one or the other. For instance, you might fancy having Roman blinds in your living room, while preferring block out curtains in the bedrooms.
When it comes to sliding glass doors that lead out to a balcony or patio, you can choose to hang curtains, or opt for virtually any type of blinds. Aside from curtains, panel glides, roller blinds and vertical blinds are all very practical choices for sliding glass doors.
Many homes combine both blinds and curtains in the window covering mix. The choice is yours on what will best suit each room in your home.
Whether you’re buying curtains or blinds, always make sure you have your windows measured and the blinds or curtains made to order for that perfect fit. Purchasing blinds and curtains right off the shelf and expecting them to look good when you hang them or install them in your home is really just wishful thinking. It’s always a wise move to have them custom made.