Whether you choose window blinds or shutters, both spruce up the indoor environment and spark new life into it, the trouble arises when you cannot decide which furnishing to choose. You have to ask yourself if you are merely following the latest trends, or do you need something that can last for ages? And what are your requirements? This guide will help you choose the best option for your home.
What is the difference?
The primary and most visible difference between plantation shutters and roller blinds is the structure. Blinds are pretty flexible and are fixed above the windows. In comparison, shutters are made of high-quality metal such as steel and are attached to the window’s sides.
- Aluminium Venetian Blinds
Blinds are available in many different colours, patterns and styles. Depending on the room’s theme, whether you want to match the walls or carpet, you can choose a specific blind accordingly.
Shutters are durable, solid materials such as wood or metals such as steel or iron. While they might not necessarily provide the style you require, they offer a certain amount of protection.
Durability is a significant factor when choosing furnishings for the indoor space. Unlike window shutters, blinds are more delicate and may get damaged over time unless you choose the premium varieties.
Window shutters are highly sturdy and durable since their structure consists of wood or metal. They’re either fitted inside or outside the indoor space making them less prone to damage. What’s more, they are perfect for homes that witness extreme weather conditions. Compared to roman blinds, shutters are more elegant and classic. Hence, they do not need to be updated with the times.
Both window blinds and plantation shutters are easy to maintain. Cleaning them is an effortless task as you can dust them down with a dry cloth just like how you would clean other surfaces. However, blinds made of cheaper materials can get discoloured if exposed to the harsh sun for too long. This issue can be resolved by buying high-quality, premium window blinds.
The cost of the furnishing is the most significant deciding factor as everything boils down to how much you can spend. Your budget dictates the material and styles of the blinds or shutters you intend to buy. If you have a higher budget, you may opt for window shutters since they are more resilient to external elements than blinds. However, blinds may provide a more aesthetic appearance but minimal protection against external factors.
Benefits of window blinds
- Blinds are available in various colours and themes that can suit the indoor environment accordingly.
- Roman blinds are comparatively cheaper and meant for people looking to spruce up appearances on a budget.
- Blinds are lightweight; this makes it easy for individuals to remove or change them when necessary.
Benefits of shutters
- Window shutters have a classic, elegant appearance that makes them look good in any season.
- More than just looks, plantation shutters are a type of window treatment.
- They are easy to clean and maintain; shutters do not require much aftercare.
- Various temperature control modes retain cold and expel heat or vice versa.
- Shutters increase the home’s or commercial space’s value.
There is no correct answer to the shutters vs blinds question. Ultimately, it all boils down to your budget and the theme of the indoor space. Another important factor is evaluating if you live in a location that faces extreme weather conditions or not. Assess your environment and your requirements before making a choice.